1. Welcome to the AM Podcast Network community! I know, I know, you are browsing, but we would love it if you checked out everything and see what we have to offer. Give us a shot and if you like what you see, come and register. Hang out with us and podcast on!
    Dismiss Notice

Website There Will be a Lull For the Next Month or So

Discussion in 'Network Announcements' started by Adam, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Adam

Building an Empire Admin Global Mod

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    I want to put this out here for people to understand why the website is not currently bustling with new shows. I am reviewing a couple right now as I type this but I need to open a bigger conversation. For the last 2 months I have been asking myself the same question "where I am I going with this?". Not in the desperate "I am not making money" sense. That's the least of my concerns.

As shows come and go I always want to take a look at where we are and where we are going. I am still insistent that I will not have sponsors and ads. My mission isn't changing. I am looking for ways to increase the goals. Let me add substance to this.

Example
    I bring on a show and spend the money/time to brand it, get their social presence done, re-master their audio for all previous shows, then maybe work on their website. Some do well and some do not. The issue is that while these shows can go out on their own because I possibly built them to do so. I am missing the part where the network or I benefit from that relationship.

To go further, I host all content and if one show has a huge subscriber base that get their shows through iTunes and never visits the AMPN...well that hurts. Not only do I pay for that content being served, but I don't get visitors either.

Okay, that's an example that is very real. This is not me bitching at all. I see this as a challenge. It costs pennies to serve media from Amazon S3 so that's a very minor concern. What keeps me thinking is how I transition these listeners to not just consume through an RSS, or visiting the website of the podcaster they love, but also to come to the network. Something has to change (hopefully not me).

I need to find a reason for those listeners to visit our community and website. This is a real problem and it has nothing to do with money. I could easily just host the media and redesign this community into a simple forum if it was about money. I want to bring people in so they can see what more we have to offer.

So these are the questions that you can help answer or just think about:
    • How do we get our listeners to iTunes (or whatever), to the show's site, then finally to AMPN?
    • How much is the AMPN needed?
    • Why should I just charge shows to host and brand them, build their site and make it a for-profit company? I don't think I could...it would feel awful to feed off of new podcasters.
    • What can the AMPN offer that brings ear here?
    • What am I or you missing?
    • Are live shows possible?
    There are my raw thoughts and don't think for a minute that I am considering packing up. That is not an answer to this. Giving up is too easy. I want to change the culture. I enjoy hearing from people, but I am afraid that at most 2 people will read this.

2. The Car Ride Home

The way the internet works something has to go viral for traffic to grow. Uploading episodes on Youtube would be a good first step under the AMPN banner.

3. Adam

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    I agree to a point. YouTube is a video platform and I haven't seen many successful podcasters on YouTube. Now Chance & Nabe they do record their podcast using video so their channel will do well. The one issue that comes from it though is that people will subscribe on YouTube and never come to the website. Your suggestion is not a bad one at all, but I think it only works with video. I do not have numbers currently to back that up so feel free to ignore my comments or call me an idiot. I will go searching to see if people are having success with that.

4. The Car Ride Home

People won't sit through a whole episode on Youtube but they will take a minute to listen to an interesting clip. What would you think about 1 - 2 minute interesting clip from each show instead of the blog post?

5. Daniel

Well-Known Member Featured

I have seen others recommend that route and have been considering it. Give.viewers a segment or something. A clip that can stand on its own to an extent but leaves them wanting to hear the full episode.

6. Adam

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    I would agree that the short clips would be very helpful. If they are actual video then it's 10x more helpful than just audio. Just audio is fine though.

7. Adam

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    One of my goals was to make the AMPN like the discovery channel or any other channel on cable. You come to that site for more info, more show. Right now I have a podcast episode and a blog post for each show, plus some shows have their own site as well. Finding away to make our own "Sharkweek" website would be awesome, but maybe practical?...

8. Luke Dare

T.S.F.U. Featured

Sorry I am a bit late to this one.

I do like the idea of the short clips on youtube. I do have a channel for my show, and would like to start doing behind the scenes stuff, as well as uploading videos of just me doing average things. I feel like a big part of podcasting is letting your listeners get to know you, so maybe stuff like that would help? Maybe at the end of each video, we could but something like "Hey check out our network for full episodes and other great shows!" ?

9. Adam

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    Luke, it's a major part without a doubt. There are many things I want to do still to grow the network into something much bigger and find those shows that match what people want. YouTube is the #2 search engine in the world and it has to be used. However, it has to be used with video. It's not an audio platform like SoundCloud and I know that can be argued. My goal with YouTube is to give listeners a different look at the shows.

10. Daniel

Well-Known Member Featured

I've actually been planning on recording video of us doing the podcast and putting them on YouTube. Like 2-3 minute clips.

11. Luke Dare

T.S.F.U. Featured

I was thinking of doing the same thing.

12. Adam

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    More content is always good. Doing it right and connecting with an audience is what the challenge will be. I am happy to help you guys if you need it. I don't have the time or the space to do video at the moment. Once I get a team I will be able to do a lot more.