1. Welcome to the AM Podcast Network community! I know, I know, you are browsing, but we would love it if you checked out everything and see what we have to offer. Give us a shot and if you like what you see, come and register. Hang out with us and podcast on!
    Dismiss Notice

The Shows That Will Win in 2016

Discussion in 'General Podcast Discussion' started by Adam, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Adam

Building an Empire Admin Global Mod

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    I wanted to write about something that has been on my mind over the last couple months. I have seen shows like the Stories Podcast walk away from the passion they had for the show. Since the creation of the AMPN, only 3 shows have left for different reasons.

One constant I have is traffic. The shows here struggle to gain traffic and listeners and I think there are a few reasons that I can think of.
    • Not socially present as much as they could.
    • The show is no interest to many people.
    • The release is never consistent.
    • It's just tough to separate these shows from their competitors.
    I could be 100% wrong on all of this, but I doubt it. This is why I wanted to write this and discuss content. The audio kind.

What is breaking through the sea of 98% of the current podcasts? Why are certain ones making huge inroads in only 1 or episode? I think I know why. Let me explain a bit:

• Take a show like Hacked Podcast and you will find that it is well executed, written, and presented.
    • I think the zoo radio or the "5 drunk guys in the garage" days are over. They came in fast and left just as quickly.
    • Podcasts that are only relevant for a few days or weeks are dead on arrival. They last but for such a small segment of time.
    • Podcasts that are all over the place with limited content will continue to float.
    • Solo and interview types of podcasts are becoming run of the mill and need special angles.
    If you don't have a story to tell in 2016 you won't do very much in gaining an audience. The only way to overcome this would be to have hosts that are interesting such as what Vince & Ben do on VWS, or Chance & Nabe on their shows. Even then, it is still challenging to separate them from their competition too.

My point is that this year I am really going to be picky at what I am going to invest in. It will be about the packaged content and the viability in shows that ask to join. I will probably turn down more than I did last year. I will admit that it means that I would have explosive growth in 2016, but I will ensure we are adding quality and that's the most important piece of this move.

I spent about $5K in the network in 2015. That's a lot of money, but it costs to create a platform like this. I still have a lot to do as well. I am going to work with a plan of action to assess which podcasts have something unique to offer. I am not trimming what we already have. I am thankful for each show, however, we may need to do a review of all content and see where we can improve.

I am a firm believer that the "Fuck it, turn on the mics and improv" are over or coming to an end to many. If you feel beaten down because of the lack of fans and/or the lack of engagement, then this might reflect a little insight on why. This is strictly my opinion though and I want to hear a devil's advocate, or your thoughts.

If you were me, what would you focus on bringing to the network?

2. Daniel

Well-Known Member Featured

I was doing market research on a new podcast that I'll be producing and I tried to listen to other podcasts in the industry. There were only two formats: 5 drunk guys improvising, or an interview and neither really offer much substance.

So I agree that, in order to be successful, you have to do more than turn on the mics. There's a reason that every show out out by Gimlet and NPR is a hit.

3. Adam

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    It's exactly right. I wasn't going to bring them into the conversation but their success shows a lot. I don't want to be them though. I want to find our own way. It is just going to get harder this year to walk onto the AMPN and have me drop money and time on a new show.

I am going to be looking short & long term. I want shows that can be more than the norm. I think the shows we have already have talent and with tweaks here and there could be even better. There is a lot to do, but I think I have the right vision in my head this year.

4. The Car Ride Home

I've been in radio for sometime and regardless of the content listeners know if you're a prepared host or not. If you have 45 minutes of content to fill each week and you prepare for none of it, people will not rally around you. Because what do they have to look forward to if you yourself have nothing to look forward to each week. If you don't care, why should anybody listen. Hope this inspires some.

5. Reflective Riot

No Rules, No Reg, Just Riot.

I feel that shows directed toward a particular niche or group can do well. Or shows that at least have some sort of thematic focus. Subjects vary wildly, but as long as a few people out there have an interest they will gravitate to a show that supports that interest.

6. Adam

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    This has been a good thread to get the conversation rolling. I think other shows can certainly have a big year too. I just started to notice a trend of shows that were making huge gains in a short amount of time. I could easily be wrong, but I wanted to hear other opinions as well.