1. Welcome to the AM Podcast Network community! I know, I know, you are browsing, but we would love it if you checked out everything and see what we have to offer. Give us a shot and if you like what you see, come and register. Hang out with us and podcast on!
    Dismiss Notice

Website Status On AMPN Podcast Hosting

Discussion in 'Network Announcements' started by Adam, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Adam

Building an Empire Admin Global Mod

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    Hello to all of our readers. It's been a bit since I talked about our new website overhaul. It's still in double-Alpha so I have not made the address public yet. Last week we crossed over our 1st 100-hours of development. Last night we connected AWS S3 Storage to the backend. This allows us to have huge amounts of redundant storage without the fear of taxing one server. I/O is always the issue I run into and I am trying to mitigate that.

I designed everything from scratch and set Meteor/React/MongoDB as my choice development environment. It's real time, sort millions and millions of records, and it's cutting edge. I don't believe there is any other podcasting site built on this....but I didn't check them all. WordPress got us this far and I am glad. The next step is bigger.

Many might not know, but I have manually added every single episode, every email, everything since I started this endeavor. In 2015 we had 15 shows on board and it was intense for me to juggle. I did it and we got through it. The biggest issue was that I spent a lot of money with no return. I burned the site down to start over with a way forward. The site had to be funded without the use of advertisement.

I decided to pursue the path of becoming a network and a host. I also want to have offering to provide services to bring in a bit of funding too. Ultimately this is my last shot at podcast hosting. I don't know if I have it in me for another shot after this. I want to add this because it's true. I have to learn when I have exhausted all possibilities. I have invested a lot from the start to now. No show has paid a single dollar to date. Added solely for context.

In the next 2 weeks we plan on taking down the WordPress site and putting our first beta live. I want to build as we go so people can see the effort. One of my good friends that I had the pleasure to serve with for the last 3 years of his Air Force career is a developer and he took on this project at a discounted price so he could add it to his portfolio and learn a new framework. Michael has been a ninja in doing this. Of course when he told me we reached the first 100 hours my wallet clinched, but we will get through that. (I am considering a Kickstarter to help)

The point is that I took all the features I love about iTunes, SoundCloud, media hosting and storage, along with web design and rolled it into one. We could be in beta for a year, but I want to deliver the best possible experience that pays for it's self. Costs have to remain low, site needs to be fast, and we need to build mobile apps along the way. I took the last 4 years of pro's and con's and tried my very best to deliver.

Look for end of September to beginning of October for the beta. It will look rough, but it's about function right now. The beauty will come as I bring a CSS expert in to polish it. I hope this gives you something to look forward to. I know I am excited and have a bit of anxiety, but we will get it there.

2. Guinness Ian

Sounds great! ...I'm excited to see what you've come up with. I would love to be a Beta tester as well, so let me know when you have something to kick the tires on.

3. Guinness Ian

I'm curious as to what type of hosting you will be focusing on. Are you competing more with Libsyn/Spreaker, or Bluehost/GoDaddy? (I assume that your efforts are podcast-centric, but I'm not certain). Plus, do you foresee implementing a paid membership program on the new site (and replacing the current open/free community)? ....Just wondering!

4. Adam

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    All great questions and I have answers for them all. I will do it in bullet format to make them easier to answer:
    1. Hosting will be media hosting like Libsyn for this release. I am thinking about expanding that vision but not in the next 12 months.
    2. There will 1-3 membership tiers. The first is free, will a little upload space. The other would be paid an receive uploading, on homepage and more. The frills if you will. Haven't decided if I will make a single paid membership of 2 levels.
    3. The community will always be free. I will continue to run ad-free as well. Only the paid subscriptions and store purchases will pay the bills.
    Hopefully that clears it up. I don't want to be Libsyn or other hosts, but there may be a lot of similarities along the way. They own the space, so I need to focus on filling what they don't own.

5. Guinness Ian

Whoa. That's quite an ambitious plan. Best of luck in getting it off the ground!

6. Adam

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    I always take on more than I can chew, but the platform is shaping up. It would look great once I start working on the CSS, but the functionality is there already with minor fine tuning. Currently we are working on AWS log files and how to transport/read them into stats.

7. Adam

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    Update for October

I have paid for half the development and we are about half way there. We have 135 hours of development as of right now. The developer is moving this week so I don't expect advancement for the next 10-14 days. Hopefully we will get through the next set of hurdles fairly quick. I would like to set this up for beta as soon as possible.

In the meantime, the AMPN shows have slowed to a crawl. It's fine because everyone is busy or have things that take precedence. At this point I am publishing podcast episodes as they come in with audio and content. If anyone has any questions or concerns please let me know. I wouldn't expect too much in the forum of updates until the beginning of the new year.

8. Guinness Ian

Sounds good... I can't wait to see what you've been working on! - I'm always available if you need a beta tester.