1. Welcome to the AM Podcast Network community! I know, I know, you are browsing, but we would love it if you checked out everything and see what we have to offer. Give us a shot and if you like what you see, come and register. Hang out with us and podcast on!
    Dismiss Notice

I Bailed on Your Episode

Discussion in 'General Podcast Discussion' started by Adam, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Adam

Building an Empire Admin Global Mod

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    It sucks to have to bail on a show. There are a lot of reasons why I will find a different show to listen to such as terrible audio, poor content, racism, and the list can go on. That's not why I just bailed on a show that sounded promising though. I couldn't of stayed and fast-forwarded through the ad and got what I needed, but I can't.

What was the problem? In the first minute they went right into an ad. I got the intro music then an ad. Not even a little content before the ad. I know I am being picky and this is how some shows pay their bills, but they are shooting themselves in the foot for hardly any #money at all. Here are the reasons having ads on your show will make people like me ignore you:
    • You sold out for like $30 to read the ad. That's poor judgement and makes anything else you bring to the table compromised. You are easily bought.
    • You don't value the listener. It's just a number for you to pitch to.
    • You didn't even give me a hook to stick around in the first 5 minutes.
    • You let a third-party control your delivery of your show.
    • I don't feel like you value your show so why should I?
    • There are too many shows to listen to that don't do this.
    Seems harsh right? It needs to be said though. You can make money by adding value to your audience and you would be surprised that a loyal audience will support you. Use #Patreon or another funding site. Ask for #Paypal donations. See merch in a store. For fuck's sake do anything except be a sellout. I hate advertising if you can't tell. This is why I weed out the shows that don't get this from the network.

</soapbox?

2. Vince Wylde

Active Member Featured

You just tore apart EVERY show on Podcast One. Every single one of them starts with an ad. Personally, I'm all set with the Monthly Box Clothes Clubs, Nature Snacks, the better aperture flywheel with the vacuum gasket - and on, and on, and on. Even Dennis Miller was plagued by this on "Miller Time".

3. Adam

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    I have never listen to anything on PodcastOne so I had no idea. It just drives me crazy and we have become so lazy by using advertising as our justification to exist. People don't understand how to respect the listener versus using them as the product. At least now I know not to listen to that Network. We can do better than that.

4. Anthony Gossett

I love how poor audio and Racism are in the same sentence. I both agree and disagree. If the product being sold is something worth wild, useful and maybe can help somebody out i'm for it. But if you're hawking Sham-Wow's then jump in a Volcano.

5. Vince Wylde

Active Member Featured

I was actually thinking that stupid blanket. Snuggy? That what it's called? Imagine trying to pitch that and not thinking you've sold out some how.

6. Anthony Gossett

I'm not going to lie, I have 2 Snuggies, and there great. Sham-Wow was the Magic towel that could pick up everything. Sold by the guy who did the Kentucky Fried Movie.

7. Adam

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    I didn't purposely intend to put those words in the same sentence to make a side point. I was just writing what I was thinking, but I skip those kinds of shows. If you want to promote something in your podcast that is completely fine. Most people won't think anything of it. It's become standard fare and I am not your average listener. I am the picky, judgy kind of podcast listener. People should necessarily cater to my segment, but it does exist and shouldn't be ignored.

Again, it just comes down to what your goal is and how a show is valued.

8. Mike_Troup

Showrunner and creator of 'The Earth Collective'

One of my favorite shows ever (We're Alive) started with a podcast. But it was a serial drama, so starting the show then cutting to an add would just feel weird and ruin pacing. I'm glad they did it first and foremost so after that I could mentally sit down down and grab some popcorn without stopping.

But serial dramas are different than a talk show. I could see waiting a little before tossing in an add on a talk show.

9. Vince Wylde

Active Member Featured

On a related note, Old Time Radio was more clever with advertising. "J-E-L-L-O - The Jello Program Starring Jack Benny!" Then later, the sponsor would find themselves in a bit. The trouble is now, you literally cannot use the toilet without some tool trying to sell you the "bigger, better, deluxe door frame gasket now with stabilizers!" People are kind of over being advertised to. It can get invasive.

10. Mike_Troup

Showrunner and creator of 'The Earth Collective'

Another problem is, for me at least, most shows aren't worth dealing with invasive ads. If the show is good, and the creators are likeable people who love their fans, I will happily sit through an ad for them.

11. Blue Collar Review

One of the podcasts I listen to (Tell em Steve Dave) does do ad reads, but they do them a little different. They don't just read from a piece of paper, and instead do like a skit or think of a funny way to do it. I don't mind listening to an ad when it is done that way, but when it is just read word for word it really is a turn off and gets annoying.