1. Welcome to the AM Podcast Network community! I know, I know, you are browsing, but we would love it if you checked out everything and see what we have to offer. Give us a shot and if you like what you see, come and register. Hang out with us and podcast on!
    Dismiss Notice

Website How the AMPN Survives 2016 & Beyond

Discussion in 'Network Announcements' started by Adam, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam

Building an Empire Admin Global Mod

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    I find myself in a different place than I did in December when I wrote the goals for 2016. I put my feelings out to the entire group of shows over the last few weeks. I have been taking in numbers, downloads, contributions, presence, and everything else that goes into an idea that you believe in. Those numbers hit me as hard as Ryo on Street Fighter II with an Ahh Yukin, or something like that.

Warning: Diatribe commencing...

We lost a couple shows, Full Circle and The Stories podcast. I was sad to see Harry drop out after hearing a few of his episodes. He had something very special, but such is life. Sean still has an account and his previous episodes still up and as he put it, he needs to be 17 years old and live life. I agreed. Earlier in 2015 we lost Reel Talk with Reel Guys which was great in the beginning but literally disappeared. Also, we lost Jeffery Perry shortly after investing in his show which he then quickly decided he didn't want to do anymore and instead move forward with a new podcast passion for comic books. I declined to invest in that one for obvious reasons that most business minded-folks would understand.

A network is a business. Whether the currency is time, money, or effort. At the end of the day I invest in shows that I think have a future. Sometimes I get it right and sometimes I don't. It happens when I figure out which stock I want to purchase as well. So the following thoughts are from where we have been and where I am going.

24 hours ago, I really was done hosting shows. I saw little value in it because show fans are going to listen to the shows RSS and visit them on social media or their website if they so desire. The numbers in Google Analytics literally show that this is true. Our low listen counts on SoundCloud also say this. @Mike_Troup pressured me into getting the numbers, so I finally said fine and got the S3Stat trial for 30 days. What I saw was awful. Lots of downloads for shows, but those listens didn't benefit the AMPN in a business sense. My goals were to help podcasts grow, well I accomplished that and the proof was in the pudding. That pudding doesn't taste the same now though.

Now this changes everything and Dave Jackson went back and forth with me a bit on Quora and it was that exchange that made me understand that from the podcaster view you only are interested in downloads and maybe social media. A website, artwork, and everything else is later. I am the opposite and that stuff is first. I always believe this is why the majority of shows are never listened to or go far. I still believe in what I have always written or said. It's the perspective of the podcaster that I need to understand and that is what changes the game.

I am wasting time, money, and resources on shows that wants listens. They don't have time or the knowledge to build a website. They also want to be John Lee Dumas and look for people like Daniel J. Lewis to help them get there. Trust me, that's not going to help them, but it will make them a little poorer spending money with no gain. I will still say that 90% of all podcast shows are either worthless or terrible. Remember that there's tens or even hundreds of thousands available for you to listen to. You will choose no more than 5 I am sure.

The Choice
    Now comes what I believe is the direct future of the network. I will continue to invest in shows that are good investments. My definition of a good investment are shows that have more green content than not, shows that actually interact in the community, communicate with me, and can meet deadlines. Great, so who meets those? That's something I need to go through in the next 48 hours and decided. I don't want outdated content a week after I publish something. That helps no one.

The Want
    I need shows that I can count on to publish on a schedule. That schedule has been for a while now a certain day and time of each week or whatever the frequency of the show is. Audio is expected no less than 48 hours prior to give me a chance to have it leveled and find a way to advertise it. Written content has been 24 hours prior so I have time to format it and schedule it. Finally, shows that release on the network before other places.

Too many times have I had to wait or have a 4-hour window to hope that Slavcho has time, I am not sleeping or busy, or something else just to get it out on time. I am not moving forward like this any longer. I can't. It's not reasonable after I have made a commitment to invest into a show. This happened so often that I couldn't market other shows or made me change my plans. The last piece of the want was interaction on the forums here. Instead I was forced to send emails to duplicate my efforts and was still ignored.

The Bottom Line

I am keeping a handful of shows at best that can meet my goals and that I feel are worth the investment. I don't have time to sit around and wait, and hope you have a future. I will help shows transition from the AMPN to their own site or media host.

I am increasing the store here to sell social marketing, design work, audio editing and more. I will also try to finalize a way to host podcasts and provide stats starting at $5/month. These offerings do not include being a network podcast. These are just services that I will try to offer to give another option for hosting media.

The community will be invested into with my marketing team. Over the past year I have been working with several virtual assistants that I plan to work full-time with once I get to the Philippines in October. They have never worked on AMPN, but they will begin to.

Conclusion
    The only viable way I see moving forward is to invest in shows that can go the distant. Raise money through services. Finally, build a community that continues to help the podcast industry as I have always intended.

2. Daniel

Well-Known Member Featured

Thanks for the transparency and open communication. I'm sure this hasn't been easy.

All this makes sense. It seems like a good and viable plan. I look forward to seeing the future of the community.

3. Adam

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    You are welcome. I don't believe in dirty backroom deals. I prefer to be judged publicly and stay transparent the best I can. I appreciate the understanding of my position here. It's been a long month or more and I just told my wife that I just wrote the final decision and now I am going to go watch Netflix for a while.

4. Vince Wylde

Active Member Featured

I think the biggest problem with Podcasting is many casters dream of becoming "Podcast One" status. You know, everyone knows the host - sort of a household name. Basically, everyone wants to be famous. And then when they don't achieve that goal, they bail. It's why the market is over saturated with horrible shows.

However, if Streamcasting finally dies, people are going to turn to Podcasting for what they used to get from online radio as online radio will now be run like terrestrial and it will be very boring. We'll see how things unfold in the coming months.

Here's an idea from me: We need to learn how to stream podcasts on demand on a low bitrate codec: 32kbps aac is FM Quality and takes minimum data. I feel if we can innovate in this area, it could make a huge difference as you'll get the Smart Phone audience. 128KBPS and higher drinks data, unless you're Slacker, Iheart, or Pandora and have a deal with T-Mobile or Metro PCS where those apps don't count against your data. Many podcasters think they need to be 320kbps for a talk show and that show won't get on most mobile devices and many people are now listening on their smart phone.

MP3 is great assuming they listen on a PC or download the show for a portable player but I just don't think that is the case anymore.

And this should go without saying, but you know I am with you all the way, Adam.

5. Adam

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    Thanks for the reply @Vince Wylde . This isn't easy and I have made bad investments along the way but I am willing to fix that. The streaming piece is a big deal and I will say that it is the area that I may the weakest on. There is a lot to do still, and my goal is to help people, but also accomplish something more with this.

Nicole is going to lend a hand building the social presence and I am about to expand the store with 15 new items. I hope I can turn of this into a bummer for everyone into something we can all be happy with.

6. Adam

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    Okay in case anyone is wondering what happened, the dramas, and what not...I want to give a final update.

I have decided to realign the shows we have, in other words, I am not going to carry some shows going forward. I will email them directly. I am adding additional services to the shop, about 15 new ones. Finally, I have Nicole helping me out on social media to bring back the spark that I had going back last summer.

So for my part, the drama is over and I am ready to hit more attainable goals moving forward with everyone. I just want to make sure I circled around and close this off. Thanks to everyone that contributed and I think we will be better for it.

7. Adam

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    There is another update on this as well. We lost The Earth Collective as well. His leaving is really not from this at all. His is business decisions and going out on a limb with a bigger product that is all inclusive. Here are the shows that we have:
    • The Vince Wylde Show
    • True Sounds From Underground
    • Thoughts of a Misanthrope
    • Chance & Nabe Show (not returning) Updated Mar 7, 2016
    • State of the Marriage (not returning) Updated Mar 7, 2016
    • The Car Ride Home (maybe)
    • Reflective Riot (not podcasting for a long time)
    That's it. I am still searching for shows that I think will be a great fit for the network. It's very difficult to find, but there has to be a way. I expect to lose the last 4 shows on this small list. For better or worse we all put in some hours and I could ask for more than that.

#7 Adam, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  8. Adam

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    I am going to close this thread for now but leave it as a conversation piece. I put a lot of ideas in this thread along with others and I needed a reboot after realizing how bad things really were and going forward would have been impossible to work with except to accumulate debt. I am going to open a new thread that covers where my head is currently after some healthy discussions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.