1. Welcome to the AM Podcast Network community! I know, I know, you are browsing, but we would love it if you checked out everything and see what we have to offer. Give us a shot and if you like what you see, come and register. Hang out with us and podcast on!
    Dismiss Notice

Best App for Podcasts?

Discussion in 'Podcast Talk' started by Adam, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Adam

Building an Empire Admin Global Mod

Twitter:
    Follow on Twitter!
    What does everyone use for podcasts? I have an Android phone and I don't really use my phone or tablet for podcasts. I am guilty for only using my desktop. I don't have a commute to work, but I do hit the gym so I wanted to find a good app to use to stream my podcasts. Is it just iTunes? I am a newb when it comes to consuming podcasts on the go.

#podcastapp #mobilepodcast

2. furadioshow

My mobile devices are Android, so I usually manually download episodes of a show I like and listen to the MP3s. Generally I won't listen to anything I can't download if I'm on mobile... saves on data, removes the possibility of connection issues/buffering.

I think if the Android community gets behind a particular podcast app, they should get behind one that works similarly to iTunes, which I feel is probably Stitcher (or another app I'm not aware of yet). Stitcher accepts RSS feeds like iTunes, and doesn't require podcasters to have a paying subscription to publish your entire library of content. That's why only the most recent episode of FU Radio appears on Soundcloud. I don't care about their analytics, I have my own through Spreaker, Cloudflare, bitly, Google, etc., and I'm already paying $40 a year to Spreaker for hosting, so I'm not paying additional money just to have all of my stuff hosted on yet another site when I can RSS to the majors and forget about Soundcloud, which doesn't really seem to care about podcasters as it is. Maybe when we get more than 100 hours of content in our library I might consider jumping ship to a different host, but for now I feel that we're getting the best deal we can, and any lack of shine our podcast is getting is due to my lack of marketing knowledge.

3. Mike_Troup

Showrunner and creator of 'The Earth Collective'

I use "Podcast Addict". Free, simple, and straightfoward. Android too.

4. Vince Wylde

Active Member Featured

I do all my podcast listening on an MP3 player, it uses too much data to stream it. Also, when I download a podcast and load it to my MP3 player I post produce it as well. Too many shows don't know how to do basic production to at least normalize the volume and either are very quiet or, the volume jumps all over. I like the shows to sound like they do over the Radio. With proper compression and volume. Yeah, I'm obsessed.

5. Blue Collar Review

I have an iPhone so I use the podcast application linked to iTunes. I like it because it automatically downloads all the newest episodes of the subscribed podcasts.

6. Reflective Riot

No Rules, No Reg, Just Riot.

I use the podcast App that comes with the iPhone. But a lot of my friends use Stitcher on Android. It's similar to the IOS podcast app, but it allows for more sorting of shows you're sub'ed to. Pretty good app.

7. Blue Collar Review

The only problem I have with Stitcher is that every time I have used it, the show has been streaming. That does murder to your data, and that's why I enjoy the default iTunes podcast app. It downloads the full episode to your phone and you never have to stream.

8. Reflective Riot

You're right. By default Stitcher will stream episodes, but you can download them directly as well. Just a little FYI.

9. Reflective Riot

How do we feel about the doomsayers on a lot of different shows repeatedly predicting the death of Soundclouds podcast service? I personally think it's stupid, because people are going to listen where it fits them. And in a world as overly diverse as ours it's not a far flung idea to believe that someone would like a particular service strictly because it as a slightly different style or interface. Maybe some different features. Just wanted to know what you guys though.